EPO study on patents and self-driving vehicles
The European Patent Office (EPO) has recently published a study on patents and self-driving vehicles. The study analyses current patenting trends to understand how the technologies related to self-driving vehicles are evolving. The study also predicts that self-driving vehicles will be commercially available from 2020 and it talks about a coming transport revolution.
Some highlights from the study:
- Almost 18 000 patent applications relating to self-driving vehicles have been filed with the EPO in the last 10 years.
- On an annual basis, patent applications relating to self-driving vehicles have increased by 330% compared with 2011.
- The applicants of these patent applications operate in the automotive field and in other technology fields.
- Europe and the USA are leading in the filing of patent applications related to self-driving vehicles.
- Sweden is a country which has shown a significant innovative activity in this field of technology.
The full study can be found here: